So welcome to my Blog a random collection of Thoughts, Stories, and other things that may come to me in during my Exchange to South Africa! Get excited and read along!

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Out of the country yet in the country

Hey friends so as promised here is the travelling details for the next week. So firstly I need to clarify that I am travelling with a friend who is also a girl. Her name is Kate. So I am putting it out so that I can clarify several key details. Firstly I have been talking with Emily, my girlfriend, about this in great detail and in great length. Emily is aware that Kate and I are just friends but even still while travelling we together decided that it was good to be upfront and clear about several things to help put any fears at rest. So firstly I talked to Kate about these things (relatively early on in the planning process) and made the nature of our friendship nice and clear. I emphasized to her that I am in a wonderful dating relationship and that I would not want to do anything at all to cause any harm to Emily. I also explained to her that I am not looking for a dating relationship with her and that I only perceive and see her as a friend. Equally she wanted to clear that up (luckily) before we started backpacking (as I had mentioned Emily early on in my friendship, as I do with most women so that they are clear in understanding that I am not looking for love). So we then went through the practical aspects of what that looks like while travelling. Firstly if we arrive at a hotel and they make an assumption that we are sharing a room then we politely make it clear that we are looking for two single rooms not one double room. Also we are going to prefer dorm rooms where we can stay with other backpackers and travellers so that we can meet other people. If people make any insinuations, or assumptions about the two of us we are going to be quick to answer and respond that we are just friends, and that I am in a dating relationship with Emily (which has been wonderful as we have learned how to grow together over a distance!). Also if there is no other option in a certain town for picking out where to stay and there is only one room available then one of us is going to be sleeping on the floor (I probably will end up there, but I don’t mind). All of this I have discussed with Emily and I have also left myself open to her saying no at any point including and up until this evening if she doesn’t want me to travel with Kate. Yet Emily has remained very positive and open minded about it, especially after discussing with her all of these provisions and clarification.
Equally I would like to note that this style of relationship is often times very counter cultural. In spite of our modern culture allowing for romantic relationships to form between any combination of genders, close friendships that are between the two sexes are automatically lumped into a heterosexual romantic relationship. Honestly, I believe that Men and Women should be able to have deep and meaningful relationships with each other that are not necessarily romantic. And these sorts of friendships should be allowed to flourish and grow even when a person is in an exclusive dating relationship that is romantic. In fact many men could really benefit from several women’s perspectives in how they live their lives. Equally (I would have to guess) that women could use men’s perspectives and opinions in their lives as well. These relationships are good, and can remain in the realm of friendship, rather than turning to romantic ends.
Anyways enough ranting about cross gendered relationships, you are probably more interested in my travel plans. Here is the rough outline with a couple of highlights:
Monday: Pietermaritzburg to Lesotho! The hope is to get in as far as possible into Lesotho yet we are going to be trying our best to get in through a border crossing that is not explicitly mentioned in my Lonely planet Guide book. (It is a border crossing just South African Access via Mini-bus taxis is not mentioned) The hope is to cross into Lesotho at Qacha’s Nek. (which is pronounced !acha’s Nek) to get there the plan is to take mini bus taxis from here to (Durban to) Kokstad to Matatiele to Qacha’s Nek. (Durban is uncertain as we might be able to go straight to Kokstad or elsewhere from PMB). The hope is to roll into Qacha’s Nek at around noon, (with any luck) and then from there hop on a mini-bus taxi and go to Quthing (pronounced: !uthing). Then we will crash for our first evening after trying to seek out the Dinosaur Footprints in the area!
Tuesday: Quthing- Maseru, We will hopefully arrive late morning into Maseru from which we will be heading to a Hostel, and dropping off our backpacks and heading out on a Mini-bus taxi to go and do some Crafts shopping. I am hoping to get a Basotho Wool Blanket (so I can blend in a bit). And whatever else we may encounter that day.
Wednesday: Maseru- Semonkong, this is unfortunately a short distance on the map but apparently it takes a long time to get there by transit. We are going to leave in the morning and arrive late afternoon in Semonkong. Where we will settle into a hostel like lodge for the next two nights!
Thursday: Semonkong: The world’s highest commercial Abseiling (I can’t believe I am going to do this. To be honest I am scared, but I am going to do it anyways), basically it is repelling down a 204m high waterfall but with one really large and long leap. Kind of crazy if you ask me, but apparently it is incredible. (Plus I will be doing one of the World’s Highest...s).
Friday: Semonkong to Maseru, bumping back to get around the rest of the country!
Saturday: Maseru to Sani Top (hopefully) or to Mokhotlong, depending on how long it takes to get there. The plans are a bit looser at this point. But the basics is that we are going to be heading to Sani Top for a pint at the Highest pub in Africa!
Sunday: Sani Top to Pietermaritzburg (via the Underberg,) We get to see the Drakensburg mountains and return the short route. If we didn’t get the pint the night before then we are going to stop for a lunch hour pint and then down the pass we go.
If you are feeling lost then probably I am doing all right because I am slowly getting down the names and rough geographic area. If you are like a certain anonymous friend who thought that Lesotho was a seaside town (This friend I appreciate and love deeply!) you will be surprised that Lesotho is about the exact opposite. (I was confused at the language Guidebook that talked about beaches, snorkling, and scuba clearly they have never been to Lesotho...). It is roughly reminiscent of Tibet, except in Africa. Mountainous, free and beautiful, except that Tibet is no longer free is it... I had better work on a better comparison. It is deeply underdeveloped so Kate and I invested in water purification tablets, and we guessed that we would be getting well off of the beaten path (which is where you find the best stories).
If we get lost, hopefully we will find ourselves. That is my perspective of travelling is that when we get lost we will hopefully find ourselves.
My laptop is coming and so is my camera! I am super excited to share good and solid stories with you folks as soon as I can!
Peace and Take care!
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment