So welcome to my Blog a random collection of Thoughts, Stories, and other things that may come to me in during my Exchange to South Africa! Get excited and read along!

Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Hectic Weekend!

Hey friends! So I promised to add more stories to the blog this weekend, (as of friday) as I feel like I am getting behind both in journalling and blogging, I really need to start to commit to writing more frequently. So perhaps by the end of this weekend I will get you caught up really quickly my friends!

So firstly this weekend was hectic! (in a really good way). Friday Night I went with my friend and we played touch rugby (3 on 4 switching back and forth through out) which was a wonderful wonderful experience. I have fallen in love with playing touch rugby, and the guys who play are wonderful men to play it with.

So Following touch rugby, John invited me and kate (my friend) to join him and a bunch of his friends in Durban for the Night. We needed to leave in like 15-20 min so that was the real start of the hectic-ness for the night. We went to Durban in a couple of cars, with all of our stuff that we needed, (Sleeping bags, clothes etc...) and went to a wonderful Morracan Restaurant called Yarris. I had a pasta dish with lamb meat balls, very delicious. and it was a wonderful time to celebrate and hangout with friends, Margot's Birthday (A room mate of John's). We then went to one of their friend's houses (that lives just outside of Durban) to crash for the night, the men slept on the ground floor and the ladies upstairs. Which made for an epic way to sleep. Especially when the morning came and we were able to sit, and Spend some time with God, (I prayed, and read scripture) and just enjoyed the scenery. So we were staying in a house that overlooked the ocean, so as I was sitting and reading scripture, I could enjoy watching the waves, and the surfers. Truely a blessed experience! Following that we packed up our cars and went down to the beach to grab breakfast at a little restaurant called the Green Dolphin. As we did that we watched the Rugby Game between Australia and New Zealand which was epic! it was a really great spot to watch the game and the guys, and gals made amazing company to.

After we finished watching the game we went to the beach to sit and enjoy and hangout a bit longer. So we went to a different beach, and just hung out. Soon there came along the beach trucks with these baskets on the top, with lots of young guys (some boys), driving down to a point where there were nets being pulled up out of the water. Apparently in Durban there is a migration of Sardines that happens once a year, that takes place over the course of a month (with a particular weekend being more busy than other times) and during this migration there are loads of people who fish for sardines. So we got to experience them pulling this net out of the water, with loads of sardines! Pretty cool and amazing.

It was truely a wonderful chance to hangout with a bunch of guys and gals (all of whom are christians) and who invited us out just to become good friends with them. It does make me wonder if I would do this at home for a stranger who comes into my community. (or also it should make you wonder what you would do for a stranger who comes into your communities)
Think about this, I think it is actually a cool way for a church community to be a blessing for other people who come into their lives. Would you be willing to invite someone to go with you to hangout after a church service? If you are heading to another city to visit with friends, are you willing to take the person who maybe doesn't know anyone outside of the town they are in? Is this a way that God is calling us to practically love people who surround us in our day to day lives?

Just some thoughts for now. Other cool things that have happened this week, Cell Group on Tuesday Night! Really a cool way to meet other christians from a church here in the area. Slowly I am getting better with Zulu names which is a huge blessing. But it is still going to take time. So at cell group we learned about convictions and we journalled and applied what convictions we have. So I am convicted of the need to be more actively journalling as I journey hear. Also that is going to apply to this blog. Afterwards, John and I just chatted about the evening, and different beliefs and strategies around bible studies, and life etc... Just a cool way to dwindle away an evening.

Wednesday Night I had a really chill evening with TBT (the Bible Talks) as they do a Wednesday night bible study looking into a book (which the name escapes me right now) but is investigating how the Church actually works. What it means to be the church, and what it looks like to live as the church. It is promising to be a good foundational relearning of why and how I should be a member of the church as well.

Thursday evening I went and chilled out with Kate over at her residence. We had tea and then just chatted faith sort of stuff for the evening. and Also we chatted about life, and the universe. Totally cool that I am developing a good strong friendship with people surrounding me.

Even still I do deeply miss many good friends back home. (If that is you or if you are unsure as well) I would love to hear stories! Any sort of story that is happening in your life. Or if you would rather chill over skype, or msn, or facebook chat. All you need to do is send me a message or e-mail and I would love to hangout with you. (I know it isn't like spontaneous sort of hanging out, but nor can I actually live attached to a computer, 24-7 (and nor should you) so it gives me an idea of how to love and live with you better over a longer distance.)

For know I think that is all that I have! maybe as I journal this evening and tomorrow afternoon, I will come upon more exciting stories from my week! (or maybe I will have more stories happen this weekend you never can know eh?)

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment